This is an assorted compilation, coming from an unquiet mind. Here is a list of my quirks in no particular order.
- I always arrange currency notes in order of denomination in my wallet. If my wallet has 3 compartments for currency notes, I can group them easily. If only 2, I use driving license or other card to create artificial separator so I can group in 3 – 500/1000s, 100/50s, and 20/10s.
- I have a fixed time for heating my tea cup or coffee mug in the microwave. As the cup or mug rotates to the fixed time, the end result may not bring the cup or mug handle at a convenient position, thus I know how to exactly place it beforehand, so that it does.
- During the old ‘80s era, I never took a cassette out of the cassette player unless it was completely wound to one side.
- When I push my seat back in a flight, I secretly pray that the traveller behind me is not being inconvenienced. But I still secretly feel guilty somewhere deep inside for doing that without knowing it. Then I resolve my guilt ‘rationally’ saying to myself, either the passenger behind can let me know if there is any inconvenience or it’s the airline’s fault for designing seating this way anyway.
- I can’t break an egg without thinking I’m destroying a life so I do it hesitantly and amateurishly.
- I used to have the exact change for the bus fare before getting into a crowded bus, so I would not have to scramble when I buy my ticket from the conductor amidst the chaos inside the bus.
- Most folks seem to enjoy watching movies while passing comments and making jokes about them. I can’t participate in this group-movie-watching, and prefer to watch movies by myself or with a close set of friends. I am not a popcorn-movie-watcher.
- When travelling to interior parts of Indian states, when having a cup of tea or the local snacks, I leave whatever change there is to the vendor. I never give alms to beggars, but always give extra to rural folk who work for their hard earned money.
- I never leave an opened book turned upside down at the page I was reading. For anyone who worships books, that is blasphemy. Either use a bookmark or remember the page. I am disgusted at people who keep opened books upturned.
- I always install a new version of Windows as a fresh install, never upgrade. Yes, I need to reinstall all the apps I need, but I think it’s worth it.
- I can never leave a newspaper without all its pages folded correctly and arranged in the fashion it came out of the printing press. I dislike people who treat newspapers casually leaving pages scattered.
- I can never understand people who can switch from one genre of music to another seamlessly. To me, it seems the music never percolates into their soul, they just listen to it superficially.
These are a few of my eccentric habits. But that is me.